AmerisourceBergen Demonstrates Continued Positive Impact with 2019 Corporate Citizenship Report
March 9, 2020
VALLEY FORGE, Pa. – AmerisourceBergen, a global healthcare solutions leader, published its 2019 Corporate Citizenship Report, detailing the impact of its robust sustainability and community efforts across 150 campuses in 50 countries. AmerisourceBergen’s corporate citizenship strategy was developed to cultivate sustainable operations and create healthier futures for communities worldwide. For the second year in a row, selected information within the 2019 Report was assured by ERM Certification and Verification Services.
“At AmerisourceBergen, we believe it is our responsibility to give back to the communities where we live and work, and we take seriously the role we have to fulfill our promise of strong corporate citizenship,” said Steve Collis, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of AmerisourceBergen. “This focus is evident in the dedication among our associates to lessen our impact and unite across the supply chain to create a healthier future for all. We are proud of the strides we’ve made to enhance our sustainability efforts, support our associates holistically and develop healthy communities, and we will never stop striving to do more.”
As connectors between those who create and those who prescribe and dispense medicine, AmerisourceBergen has a critical responsibility to guarantee patients have access to vital medications and products. In the midst of a changing climate, which can bring about an increase in the number of extreme weather events, it is the company’s every day role that has become even more crucial in maintaining an efficient and ensuring patients, hospitals, pharmacies and manufacturers have access to what they need in a timely manner. The Corporate Citizenship Report detailed several notable milestones achieved by AmerisourceBergen in the past year, including:
Sustainable Operations: AmerisourceBergen is committed to sustainable and responsible operations across the supply chain, and deploys sophisticated systems and innovations that improve efficiency, product safety and quality. 2019 highlights include:
- LEED Certifications and Building Upgrades: In Fort Mill, S.C., AmerisourceBergen received a LEED® Gold certification for its second Lash Group facility at Kingsley Park. In AmerisourceBergen’s Carrollton, Texas facility, it received a LEED® Silver Certification for its approach to green building standards. The company also added solar panels to the roofs of its distribution centers in Phoenix, Ariz. and Sacramento, Calif., providing a renewable source of energy to the facilities.
- CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project) Performance: AmerisourceBergen is committed to addressing the climate risks that impact its businesses and local communities, and has taken bold steps to address climate issues. As a result, AmerisourceBergen made a substantial advancement in reported greenhouse gas emissions and received a score of a B from the CDP, the world's largest database of corporate environmental information.
Inspired Associates: AmerisourceBergen is dedicated to engaging its associates and fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. The company strives to provide a safe, supportive work environment where associates can be their authentic selves, are given clear pathways for career development and have access to programs and benefits that allow them to live fuller, healthier lives. Specific 2019 initiatives included:
- Diversity, Inclusion and Equal Opportunity: Aligned to the company’s various diversity and inclusion efforts, AmerisourceBergen reported 56 percent of associates and 30 percent of its Board of Directors are women. For the second year in a row, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation awarded AmerisourceBergen a perfect score of 100 percent on its Corporate Equality Index, and the company was listed as one of the Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality. DiversityInc. also named AmerisourceBergen as a Noteworthy Company for the third year in a row.
- Employee Business Resource Groups: In 2019, AmerisourceBergen added The Emerging Professionals Network to its suite of Employee Business Resource Groups to positively influence the professional development and career advancement journey of its workforce. The groups are organized by associates who, based on shared experiences, come together to provide a positive setting for professional development and build upon the company’s diversity and inclusion efforts.
Healthy Communities: AmerisourceBergen is striving to support healthy and resilient communities. In 2019, AmerisourceBergen companies provided more than $9 million in product donations. The company also provided nearly $2 million in financial contributions to community-based organizations, aligned with its mission to create healthier futures. Core areas of impact included:
- Emergency Preparedness: AmerisourceBergen is dedicated to serving as a support partner for its associates, customers and communities particularly during times of need in the face of a natural disaster. For its associates, AmerisourceBergen developed and distributed a reference guide containing critical information about weather-related preparation tips, contact information for local services and advice on how to receive financial assistance through the Associate Assistance Fund. The company also enhanced relief efforts throughout communities by supporting local organizations on the ground to address pressing needs and improve patient access and outcomes.
- AmerisourceBergen Foundation: The AmerisourceBergen Foundation, the not-for-profit charitable giving arm of AmerisourceBergen, honed its core focus areas to include prescription drug safety, human health and animal health. As a result, more than 100 organizations were assisted worldwide and more than $7 million in grants were given to support local communities. 2019 also marked the inaugural year for the Foundation Grantee Conference, facilitating the collaboration of more than 50 non-profits with the goal of sharing best practices to advance healthcare. In support of prescription drug safety, the AmerisourceBergen Foundation’s Opioid Resource Grant Program also distributed nearly 1.2 million resources to more than 250 organizations in every state to support the safe disposal of prescription medicines since program inception in 2018.
addition to external assurance and verification, this report references Global
Reporting Initiative (GRI) Topic Disclosures and Principles, the Sustainability
Accounting Standards Board (SASB) and the United Nations Sustainable
Development Goals, created for collaborative action to ensure the health
and prosperity of the planet and its people.
AmerisourceBergen provides pharmaceutical products, value-driving services and business solutions that improve access to care. Tens of thousands of healthcare providers, veterinary practices and livestock producers trust us as their partner in the pharmaceutical supply chain. Global manufacturers depend on us for services that drive commercial success for their products. Through our daily work — and powered by our 22,000 associates — we are united in our responsibility to create healthier futures. AmerisourceBergen is ranked #10 on the Fortune 500, with more than $175 billion in annual revenue. The company is headquartered in Valley Forge, Pa. and has a presence in 50+ countries. Learn more at amerisourcebergen.com